5 COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT BLACK MOLD REMOVAL

If you’re thinking about removing black mould from your home or business, think again. This type of project is best left to the professionals and their specialized safety equipment. Reduce your health risk by learning more about the top 5 black mould misconceptions.

Many homeowners in Edmonton have become increasingly concerned about the presence of mould in their homes, in particular, the dangers of black mould.

That’s thanks to media coverage on the possible health risks black – or “toxic” – mould presents in schools, homes, and other public and private buildings. The associated legal issues and insurance claims have made mould a hot topic.

The colour of mould is due to its food source rather than the type of mould. Any genus of mould can be black, or green, or blue, or pink. The type of mould that is referred to as black mould is Stachybotrys which has gained its reputation due to a number of deaths and serious impairment and the resulting legal cases.

Today, we are dispelling some common myths and misconceptions about black mould and its removal in Edmonton.

  • Misconception #1: “All mould is the same.”
    There are 100,000 species of mould in various colours and sizes. Mold has existed on Earth since life began and it surrounds us everywhere, indoors and outdoors. A portion of those are harmful to humans, but only in very high concentrations.
  • Misconception #2: “Black mould is inorganic.”
    Black mould, like all mould varieties, are living organisms that need moisture and organic material to survive. It enjoys warm, dark spaces and accumulates on wood materials, gypsum wallboards and wallpaper in damp or water damaged homes and buildings. Coupled that with dust or lint and it has the environment it needs to thrive.
  • Misconception #3: “Bleach can be used to kill black mould.”
    Many people think they can kill mould with toxic chemicals, such as bleach. However, microscopic mould spores may be left behind giving mould the ability to grow again. Bleach is also a water-based product that can help mould survive if the treated area is not completely dry for 24 to 48 hours. Not to mention, humans are equally susceptible to bleach’s damaging chemical properties. Mold removal is a job best left to professionals in Edmonton.
  • Misconception #4: “Painting over it will get rid of the mould.”
    As a living organism, mould actually eats right through paint. You may get a couple months of mould-free looking walls, but it’s still lurking there. Soon it will start to poke through or cause the new paint to peel and you will have the same problem.
  • Misconception #5: “Black mould isn’t really a health hazard.”
    Exposure to Stachybotrys, the scientific name for black mould, can be very serious. Black mould testing should be done if you have a compromised immune system or experience health issues thought to be caused by mould. Excessive mould exposure can cause allergy or flu-like symptoms or more serious infections to your body’s internal organs. Toxic mould exposure has also been linked to fungal infections and pulmonary haemorrhage.

Mold removal you can depend on
Contact the experts in Edmonton at Advanced Remediation Solutions Inc. We have the knowledge, skill and equipment to get the job done for good. Contact us today!

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top

Contact Us